Tuesday, April 15, 2008

New Uses for Old Things

I am a subscriber to the magazine Real Simple. I love it - mainly because it has some practical ideas and solutions for both home and fashion stuff. I rarely get it together enough to implement any of the ideas or solutions - but they're nice to read about.

Anyway - they have a monthly section called "New Uses for Old Things" where the contributors come up with, yes - new uses for old things. For example, "wow! this wire hanger can be used as a holder for all my colorful ribbons". It always lists the "original use" and then the "Aha! Use" and "Reward". The ideas are very Martha Stewart usually - but perhaps helpful to certain people.

Little Bitty just brought this section of the magazine to mind. She is very casually pouring her apple juice from her sippy cup into a plastic easter egg, drinking, and repeating. It's funny because the look on her face conveys that she is using the plastic egg exactly how it is supposed to be used. She's not proud or excited of her idea - she's just doing what should be done. And I can so picture the listing in next month's issue of Real Simple...

Original Use: Filling with candy on Easter
Aha! Use: Serving juice or a spritzer to your friends. Just pour dainty amounts in one half of each colorful egg.
Reward: Your friends will be impressed with your colorful serving cups - and it will discreetly limit the amount they consume.

6 comments:

TheOilHippie said...

I love it!!!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious, as X is using his plastic easter eggs as snack-holders. He even calls them "bowls" ... He'll point to the pantry where the snacks are kept, say "please?" When I say "sure, you may have a snack" he immediately goes to his egg collection and returns holding both halves out for me to fill with raisins, Smarties, M&Ms ... Great little minds think alike :)
~hadyn~

carla said...

LOVE!

and love the mag as well.

we're so alike.

Carla

Princess Gabby and Prince Hunter said...

HIIIIIII!! That is so funny that you wrote because I was randomly thinking about you the other day wondering how your family was. Yeah, I never get on the adoption site anymore but Rob does and always updates me. Are you going to the picnic? I'm gonna put you on my blog list so I can keep up with you. So good to hear from you! Tell your two cuties hi for me!

Anonymous said...

So does this mean we are challenged with finding "old" things for "new" uses to play with? I'm not sure I can keep up with the imagination. So good to hear from Hadyn!!
Love you! Grammy

Julie P said...

Just found your blog from another blogger's bloglines and I am ROTFL and LOL - at this post. I am a long time Real Simple Subscriber and you are so right, I can just see your suggestion. Thanks for the smile.